Black Girls' Night Out: Olivia Pope
"Are we gladiators or are we bitches?"
~ Harrison Wright, Scandal S3:E1
This post is loooooooong overdue. Season Three's premiere reminded me to go ahead and just get it done, once and for all.
Thirty-one-year-old Columbus Short is currently best known for his role on Shonda Rhimes's Scandal as the savvy, fast-talking, suit-rocking, problem-solving Harrison Wright, a self-proclaimed "gladiator" at Olivia Pope & Associates. In real life, Mr. Short is also a choreographer, musician, writer and director. He also once started a project with his friend Lee Thompson Young, which I'm guessing has ended...for obvious reasons.
I like that when Henry Ian Cusick left after Season One, this guy stepped up to take over "the big office", and there are times when I forget it's Olivia's firm, not his.
Things I dig about Harrison:
1) He's pretty and he's got the deep, raspy voice.
2) He looks awesome in a suit.
3) He's shrewd and quick-thinking.
4) He looks awesome in a suit.
5) He's devoted to his sistah-in-arms Olivia, and in a beautiful moment last season, declares himself her gladiator.
6) He looks awesome in a suit.
7) He never backs down from a fight. Even when outmatched, he finds away around the problem.
8) He looks awesome in a suit.
Fashion Tips from Moi:
Writers, give us more info on Harrison. Give us flashbacks, flesh out his life outside the office, give him a significant other (I heard on the webvine that there's a theory his character's gay. I say run with it, Shonda). By all means, give us more of this strong, clever, gorgeous black man, and whatever you're paying him...up it!!!